January Reading Wrap Up


Trendy Simple Life


Holy Cakes!
January was an extremely busy month for me, but somehow I’ve managed to log in 7 books!
What a FANTASTIC way to start the year!

Surprisingly, instead of feeling sorry for myself that I was so busy and could barely squeeze an hour here and there to read, I took an entire different approach to the matter and found blocks of time to listen to audiobooks 🎧 which worked out perfectly!
Grocery Shopping? No problem.
Daily walk? Got it.
Driving to work? Yup.
Sitting in the car waiting to pick up my child from sports practice? Turn on the bluetooth!

5 audiobooks + 2 books later = a very successful January 💙

Here's what I read and/or listen to:

📘THE WICKED KING by Holly Black - 5/5 (click on the title for my full review)

🎧ONE DAY IN DECEMBER by Josie Silver - 5/5 (click on the title for my full review)

🎧 CLOCKWORK PRINCE by Cassandra Clare (book 2 of The Infernal Devices) - 5/5
I just LOVED this book so much and I was actually sad when it ended. I don't know why it took me so many years to discover Cassandra Clare's books and this one truly won me over. The story was fast-paced, we got to learn a lot more about the characters since the first book and the suspense meter was a nice touch.
BTW, the narrators did an incredible job with this book and made me weep listening to Will's voice in the last chapter 😢

🎧 CLOCKWORK PRINCESS by Cassandra Clare (book 3 of The Infernal Devices) - 5/5
       Let me start by stating the following: Clockwork Princess was the BEST series finale I have ever read!  I cried multiple times during the last chapters, and I was equally happy with how the trilogy came to an end.  I would've rated 10 if I could...
By the angel, this was perfection! Clare pulled it all together. Tied every loose string and made me cry.
Just like Tessa, I felt in love with both Will and Jem. How could we not? This was not your usual love triangle. This was a beautifully crafted tale of love+friendship+respect. A masterpiece.
I does help that the writing is easy to follow and the characters developed seamlessly. The added sarcasm is a gift also. I have to admit that I didn't expect to love this trilogy so much and to actually be quoting pieces of the books to my family (they don't get it anyway)...
And the fact that all 3 books are already out there, I didn't have to wait to devour one after the other. Another extra perk :-)



📘THE WOMAN INSIDE by E.G. Scott - 4/5 (click on the title for my full review)

🎧TODAY WILL BE DIFFERENT by Maria Semple - 3/5
     This book was a 3.5 up until the middle of it, and then it became a 3 for the second half, so I adjusted my rating to 3.
I know a lot of readers compared this book with the author's other book, about Bernadette Fox, but I'm actually glad I didn't read that one yet...
The entire book takes place in one day and Eleanor starts the day with the best intentions of improving herself.
The first half of the book was hilarious. I laughed out lout a few times with Eleanor's descriptions of her life after motherhood, being a woman in her late forties, with possible depression, lack of self-steem and nonexistent sex life. Her interaction with a group of younger/fit/well-dressed moms at the school her son goes to, reminded of the movie "A Bad Moms Christmas", so for the first the most part, it was a fast and funny read.
But then, the chaotic events become more difficult to follow, and we jumped back to her past, which should have helped us understand her family turmoil but it took too long and was way too convoluted.
I didn't appreciate the ending either. It felt like an unrealistic mid-life crisis.

🎧UNCOMMON TYPE: SOME STORIES by Tom Hanks - 3/5
     I really wanted to love this but although it was enjoyable, I didn't love it. Maybe it's me and I just don't like short stories...

📌
And that, folks, is my official wrap up!  Did you read any of these books?  What's the favorite book you've read in January?

11 comments

  1. I will for sure have to check some of these out!

    Lotte | www.lottelauv.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some of those books but never read them. Great choices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MAHHHH I'm currently reading The Wicked King! Looks like you got some great reads in this month :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great ratings this month! Awesome. Happy you enjoyed your reads.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clockwork prince and princess are great reads and The Wicked King is on my TBR. You had a great month!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great wrap up post! Looks like you had a great start to the year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG OMG OMGGGGG I love love love that you gave Clockwork Princess so much love. This trilogy, this book... They are Everything to me and I agree with you on this being the best final installment I've ever read. I think no one pulls of a love triangle the way Clare does. This is perfection!

    Melissa
    http://melissasfandomworld.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I feel the same way. It will be hard trying to not compare other books to the level this one was :-)

      Delete
  8. I need to read Cassandra Clare sooner than later.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohh great post and it looks like you had a great reading month in January, thank you so much for sharing your awesome post.

    ReplyDelete