Sadie by Courtney Summers


Book Review: Sadie by Courtney Summers

BOOK REVIEW: Sadie by Courtney Summers

Release Date: September 4th, 2018
Genre: Young Adult, Thriller
320 Pages
Publisher: Wednesday Books
I rated 5 stars on Goodreads
#FindSadie

SYNOPSIS

"Summers has pulled no punches when it comes to diving into the darker side of teen lives." —Bustle

A gripping novel about the depth of a sister's love; poised to be the next book you won't be able to stop talking about.

A missing girl on a journey of revenge and a Serial—like podcast following the clues she's left behind. 

Sadie hasn't had an easy life. Growing up on her own, she's been raising her sister Mattie in an isolated small town, trying her best to provide a normal life and keep their heads above water. 

But when Mattie is found dead, Sadie's entire world crumbles. After a somewhat botched police investigation, Sadie is determined to bring her sister's killer to justice and hits the road following a few meager clues to find him.

When West McCray—a radio personality working on a segment about small, forgotten towns in America—overhears Sadie's story at a local gas station, he becomes obsessed with finding the missing girl. He starts his own podcast as he tracks Sadie's journey, trying to figure out what happened, hoping to find her before it's too late.

Courtney Summers has written the breakout book of her career. SADIE is propulsive and harrowing and will keep you riveted until the last page.

REVIEW

There's a reason this book is getting so much Buzz on social media: It is powerful. It takes you in full force, spins your emotions around and finally breaks your heart!

Let me backtrack a bit: I had the pleasure of meeting Courtney Summers at a FierceReads breakfast at The BookCon in NYC last June, where I got an ARC of Sadie.  I never read any of Courtney's books, so I asked her general writing questions (not specific to her books)...yet, during BookCon, you would see the cover of Sadie everywhere, so the curiosity in me sparkled!

And what did I think about Sadie? Oh my...this book broke me.  I was completely lost in it.  I rooted for Sadie.  I followed her on her quest for her sister's murder.  I cried with her.  I was taken by surprise and had no idea of how magnificent Courtney Summers' writing style is.

The chapters are split between Sadie's journey to avenge her sister by killing the man that took the one person that really mattered to her, and West McCray's version, the radio presenter that starts investigating Sadie's disappearance.  Every chapter ends with a cliffhanger, so you can't wait to read the next chapter.  This back and forth helps the story flow and keeps you hoping that the clues Sadie leaves behind will help West McCray find her.  The closest he gets to where Sadie is, the more you want to keep reading...until the very last page.

The more you learn about Sadie's family and the life she lived, the more you hope for her to actually go through with her plan (Yes! I actually wanted her to end him!)...

At first I thought the story was purely about revenge, but it is so much more than that.  It's about wanting to belong, to be needed, to have someone that loved you back.  Isn't that the definition of being alive?

I'm not going to sugarcoat it.  This book is dark. It is not for the weak at heart.  But the beauty of it is that it's neither graphic nor obscene, therefore, you can call it a YA novel.
It is one of the best true crime/thrillers I have ever read!

Dear Courtney, if I ever bump into you again, I will now gladly tell you that I loved your book (and who knows, by then, I'll probably have read other books written by you).
I was in the presence of a great author and didn't know :-(

Updated 9/21/2018

“The Girls” Podcast has been released!
Grab your headphones and follow along with West McCray’s (fictional) investigation as he searches for Sadie Hunter.  
#FindSadie
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-girls/id1413420595?mt=2




0 comments