Turning 50 - Writing the next chapter of your Life!



I turned 50 this year.

It’s a huge milestone.

I made it!
I feel grateful for everything I accomplished so far.
I don’t feel old, although I’d love to get rid of the stupid second chin that stubbornly photo-bombs every picture, but I think the uninvited guest is here to stay.

We’ve all heard that “with great power comes great responsibility”. Well, with age comes the knowledge that time is our most precious and limited resource. There are only 24hrs on the day and I decided not to waste any minute on people and/or activities that don’t make me feel good.

Steve Jobs, used to ask himself one important question in the mirror every morning: “‘If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?’ If the Answer is ‘no’ for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something.”

So I came up with my own set of rules to live by. Call it my bucket list:

Rule #1

Delete toxic people from your life. We all have them. The ones that do more harm than good. They make us fell miserable. Respect yourself and Delete. Delete. Delete.

Rule #2

Spend time with the Right People. Schedule time to hang out with Family and Friends. Live your life to the fullest.

One of the best quotes I ever read was from Anna Quindlen to Villanova University in 2000: “Don’t ever confuse the two, your life and your work. The second is only part of the first.”

Rule #3

Devote 100% of your energy to what you love: Hobbies, Volunteering, Learn a New Career, starting a New Business. Just do it.

I love reading books so I recently started a Book Club in my town and invited people to join. We meet once a month to discuss the book we read for that month. I get to read 12 books a year AND meet new people. I can’t believe I didn’t think of that before!

Rule #4

Travel. Explore new places. Meet new people. Learn about different cultures. Remember that trip to Paris you always wanted to take? Stop waiting for the right time. Go for it!

Rule #5

Lastly, because I no longer give a S***!

Don’t care about what others think. Don’t let others’ opinions write your next chapter. Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition.

“Give back to the world what it has given me. My heart is open to the future. BRING IT ON!” …Oprah Winfrey, from her book “What I know for Sure”

0 comments